Effective Methods of Cleaning Bathroom and Kitchen Grout Lines
Grout lines really give away the age of your kitchen and bathroom. Even with regular mopping and spraying, grout lines will collect dirt and food particles over time. Regularly cleaning bathroom and kitchen grout lines, even when they don’t need it, is the best way to prevent buildup that will require lots of muscle to scrub out.
However, if your grout lines need some serious attention, following are some tips that may help you start with a clean slate.
Tips for Cleaning Bathroom and Kitchen Grout Lines
When you clean grout lines, remember to try the gentlest and most environmentally friendly methods first – for the benefit of your health, to protect the environment, and to avoid damaging the tile and grout.
- To wipe up small spills or for easy jobs, try water and a clean cloth.
- For slightly more challenging projects, combine equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the grout lines, wait five minutes, and then use a brush to scrub the lines.
- To scrub grout lines, use a manual or electric toothbrush. You can also purchase stiff-bristled brushes designed for cleaning bathroom and kitchen grout lines from your local hardware store. Avoid oversized or metal brushes, which may be harder for you to work with, scratch the tile, or erode the grout.
- If vinegar and water is not strong enough, start with baking soda paste. Apply it to the grout lines, and then spray over the paste with the vinegar and water solution. You will likely then see it start to foam. Let the solution do its thing for a few minutes, and then scrub the grout lines and rinse the tile clean.
- A variety of oxygenated or chlorinated products on the market are effective in helping you clean grout lines. With prolonged use over time, however, harsh chemicals can erode grout or discolor tile, so use them with caution.
Keep It Going
Regardless of which method you use, it’s likely going to take some effort at first. With regular cleaning, however, you should be able to maintain beautiful showers, bathroom floors, and kitchen floors.
For more bathroom and kitchen cleaning tips or a design consultation, see our blog page or contact us at (480) 219-9580.